Members Feature

etype2 / 1 decade ago (04 August 2012 01:49)

To continue the discussion from the chat ...

If memory serves me correctly, when the Members Feature system was put into effect, it was a way of giving all the members an input by their vote, useing the rating system. The gold star is counted, not silver or bronze. To eliminate bias, the vote is counted by automatic script. No administrator or moderator is envolved in the member vote. The art work receiving the most gold star votes, automatically generates the member feature. It changes on a daily or bi-daily basis depending on the curent vote.

Sometimes you may see for instance, ARTWORK ONE has 5 gold stars and ARTWORK TWO has 6 gold stars. The automatic script features ARTWORK TWO. If ARTWORK ONE receives 7 gold stars, then the automatic script bumps ARTWORK TWO.  This can go back and forth in a single day, but after a period of time the automatic script egnores the ranking member feature so that a newly submitted art work can be voted on and featured. It is not a perfect system, but my understanding is that it was designed to be fair.

There was a lot of discussion about this when the system was implimented. Everyone seemed to agree on what we have now, but there is always room for improvement. It was added to have more fun at Skinbase. When I think about it, if we eliminate the silver and bronze, we will still have the same result, the art work with the most gold star votes will be featured. Maybe members want to express their opinions by voting silver and bronze which seems fair to me.

Gregor and Nikos can tell you more about the system. Ed is correct, the enoticons are just that and have no effect on the vote. Personally, I remain neutral but I wanted to give my understanding. THIS FEATURE IS JUST FOR FUN, NO BIG THING. {#smileys_dlg.Happy}{#smileys_dlg.clap}

Post replies:

1 decade ago (11.08.2012 05:08)
Reply by: MountainHawk

I would respectfully state Marshall that you are entitled tpo your opinion whether it be right or wrong. Fred and myself were involved in getting the feature put into being. I don't recall you being about or involved at the time. It is good to remember the reasons for why some things came about. One would hope it is a fun site here...it generally is but when artists are involved ,emotions and ego's play a part and by my observation a little of that being present around here recently makes it less than fun. Sorry if that affects your sensibilities but I believe in being honest.

1 decade ago (11.08.2012 06:42)
Reply by: etype2

First you suggested that I did not understand why the Member Feature was implimented and I corrected you, Ian. Now you are sugestting that I was not here to understand why the Members Feature was implimented and I must correct you again. I will respond to inacurate comments.

As said prior, I am personally neutral on this feature, if it's going to be changed for the better, that is a good thing. Once again, the thread was opened for the reasons stated above and below. NOW LET'S HAVE FUN AT SKINBASE. 

1 decade ago (12.08.2012 05:11)
Reply by: etype2

{#smileys_dlg.Beer}{#smileys_dlg.Beer} {#smileys_dlg.Booming love}  {#smileys_dlg.clap}

1 decade ago (12.08.2012 08:01)
Reply by: MountainHawk

There was no inaccuracy in what I said...I agree with the fun part...your history of the feature was innaccurate and needed correction...Have a nice day Marshall{#smileys_dlg.Booming love}{#smileys_dlg.Congratulation}{#smileys_dlg.Wink}...enjoy yourselves.

1 decade ago (12.08.2012 09:32)
Reply by: FredNunes

Peace to everyone here.  I simply took issue with the way votes were talled here and the intention behind certain comments versus actual voting.  Misleading.  

That is all.  All the best my friends!  Peace!  Happy

1 2